With 24 integrated video clips, Fitness Professional’s Handbook, Seventh Edition With Web Resource (Enhanced Version), provides a dynamic experience for undergraduate fitness testing, programming, and exercise prescription. Current and future fitness professionals will find information to screen participants, conduct standardized fitness tests, evaluate the major components of fitness, and prescribe appropriate exercise.
To facilitate an engaging learning experience, the enhanced version features video clips that help learners apply key techniques alongside fully updated text that uses the latest standards, guidelines, and research from authorities in the field. It will prepare learners for certification and arm them with the knowledge to work with a variety of clients and populations.
Content incorporates information from the most up-to-date edition of ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription and the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans exercise and physical activity recommendations for adults, older adults, children, and those with special needs. The editors embrace the importance of communication between allied health and medical professionals with those in the fitness arena to provide learners with a foundation for prescribing exercise and delivering need- and goal-specific physical activity and fitness programs.
Reflecting the same enhancements of the seventh edition print book, every chapter has been updated, allowing learners to explore the newest theories and research findings and apply them to real-world situations. The following are among the most significant changes to the seventh edition:
- A web resource containing biannual industry updates and references and fillable forms provides a useful tool for students to use beyond the classroom
- A new chapter, “Training for Performance,” helps professionals expand their practice to work with recreational athletes who have performance-related goals
- New information, including the consequences of exercise-induced muscle damage (rhabdomyolysis), devices used to track physical activity and estimate energy expenditure (e.g., accelerometers), relative flexibility and the role of lumbopelvic rhythm in back function, the importance of progression in an exercise prescription, and the professional standard of care associated with HIIT programs reflects recent topics of interest and research
- Updated statistics on CVD and CHD from the American Heart Association, adult and childhood obesity, and the prevalence of COPD, asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema ensure accurate representation of data
- Chapter quizzes have been added to an updated ancillary package that also includes an instructor guide, test package, presentation package, and image bank
Fitness Professional’s Handbook, Seventh Edition With Web Resource (Enhanced Version), contains a variety of learning tools to help students identify and retain key information. Objectives, key points, glossary terms, and chapter review questions guide students to important concepts, while research insight boxes and procedures for common fitness tests draw attention to commonly sought information. Case study questions and answers help learners apply the concepts to real-world scenarios. References are numbered and organized by chapter at the end of the e-book to provide direction for more in-depth research.
With a comprehensive and practical approach, this enhanced e-book enables users to help individuals, communities, and groups gain the benefits of regular physical activity in a positive and safe environment. It provides background to the field, scientific fundamentals, and up-to-date recommendations to help learners better understand the role of physical activity in the quality of life and guidelines for screening, testing, supervising, and modifying activity for various populations.
This enhanced e-book will be available soon.