This is an excerpt from Perceptual-Motor Activities for Children by Jill A. JohnstoneM & olly Ramon.
Locomotor skills, motor planning, spatial awareness
- Six cones
- Active learning cards (uppercase letters)
Place the cones 4 feet (1 meter) apart.
Do grapevine (crossover) steps from cone to cone. Along the way, touch each cone and say the letter shown on the card for that cone.
Make sure that the student uses proper form for the grapevine step:
- When moving to the right, step with your right foot first.
- Follow with your left foot moving in front of and across your right foot.
- Then step out again with your right foot.
- Follow with your left foot moving behind your right foot.
- Continue with this pattern.