Course components are delivered online:
- Mini e-book consisting of chapters from Handbook of Neurological Sports Medicine
- Continuing education exam
Spine and Nerve Injuries Online CE Course
- Describe various cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine injuries and their clinical features.
- Understand the complexity of the osseous spinal column and how the different parts function as a unit.
- Identify deficiencies or imbalances in sections of the spinal column and become aware of how to treat and rehabilitate patients with deficiencies or imbalances.
- Be able to identify when a safe return to play can be made for the patient.
provides a detailed discussion of traumatic spine and nerve injuries, including injuries to the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine, and the soft tissue and fascia within the spinal unit. It provides an overview of peripheral nervous system injuries to ensure medical professionals understand those serious and potentially career-ending issues and reviews facets of optimal response with suspected or proven spinal injury. Authored by a respected team of neurosurgeons, including highly regarded concussion researcher Julian Bailes, this evidence-based reference offers expert guidelines for managing these serious injuries.
The evaluation and management of sport-related neurological injuries have matured at an unprecedented rate. Spine and Nerve Injuries Online CE Course
is a critical resource for all who encounter and treat traumatic spine and nerve injuries by providing the foundation for athletic medical practitioners to give their patients the best treatment possible.
The required reading, Spine and Nerve Injuries,
is an abridged version of the comprehensive text, Handbook of Neurological Sports Medicine
(Human Kinetics, 2014).
Table of Contents
Chapter 16. Cervical, Thoracic, and Lumbar Spine Injuries: Types, Causal Mechanisms, and Clinical Features
- Background and Epidemiology
- Normal Anatomy
- Types of Tissue Injuries and Neurologic Syndromes
- Common Cervical Injuries and Conditions
- Common Thoracic Injuries
- Common Lumbar Injuries
- Concluding Thoughts
Chapter 17. Management of Spine Injuries, Including Rehabilitation, Surgical Considerations, and Return to Play
- On-the-Field Assessment
- Radiological Assessment
- Treatment and Rehabilitation
- Surgical Considerations
- Cervical Spine Injuries and Their Management and Treatment
- Cervical Spine Injury: Return to Play
- Thoracic and Lumbar Spine Injuries and Their Management
- Concluding Thoughts
A continuing education course for athletic trainers, physical
therapists, emergency medical technicians, and physicians.