Course components are delivered as printed products:
Developing the Core book
- Study guide
- Continuing education exam
At the completion of this course you will be able to do the following:
- Describe core anatomy and biomechanics and how the core musculature influences an athlete’s ability to create efficient movement.
- Use a variety of testing and assessment tools to evaluate a person’s core strength and stability.
- Identify how the training principles of overload and progression are key factors to consider in prescribing core exercises.
- Implement guidelines for developing core strength and stability in designing effective sport training programs.
- Describe a variety of exercises and drills to develop core strength and stability in order to improve athletic performance.
- Design safe training programs for core development to meet specific goals for a variety of sports and activities.
Success in sports is about much more than muscular legs or well-defined arms. Whether known for a powerful golf swing or a hard slap shot in hockey, the best athletes all have one thing in common: a strong and well-conditioned core.
The Developing the Core
course is based on the book of the same name from the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and includes contributions from 17 of the NSCA’s top hand-picked experts, including the book’s editor, Jeffrey M. Willardson, associate editor for the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
. It includes more than 50 of the most effective core development exercises along with scientific-based assessments to help athletes understand individual needs and build personalized core programs. In addition, this course offers ready-to-use sport-specific programs for baseball and softball, basketball, football, golf, ice hockey, soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling.
The study guide includes a course syllabus, learning objectives, learning activities, and referenced answer key. The study guide emphasizes key concepts of the book to prepare individuals to pass the 75-question exam composed of multiple-choice and true-or-false questions at the completion of the course.
The Developing the Core Print CE Course
is an invaluable resource for strength and conditioning professionals seeking to help clients strengthen the midsection and maximize athletic performance.
Skills Active / REPs pre requisites can be found here:
Table of Contents
Learn and Practice With the Developing the Core Book
Part I: Essentials of Core Development
Chapter 1: Core Anatomy and Biomechanics
Chapter 2: Core Assessment
Chapter 3: Core Muscle Activity During Exercise
Chapter 4: Core Development Exercises and Drills
Chapter 5: Core Programming
Part II: Sport-Specific Core Development
Chapter 6: Baseball and Softball
Chapter 7: Basketball
Chapter 8: Football
Chapter 9: Golf
Chapter 10: Ice Hockey
Chapter 11: Soccer
Chapter 12: Swimming
Chapter 13: Tennis
Chapter 14: Track and Field
Chapter 15: Volleyball
Chapter 16: Wrestling
Study Guide Answer Key
Exam and Evaluation
Exam Answer Sheet
A course for strength and conditioning professionals, personal trainers,
athletic trainers, fitness instructors, and other certified