Course components are delivered online:
- Six evidence-based practice articles from the International Journal of Athletic Therapy & Training
- Continuing education exam
After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
IJATT Part II: Evidence-Based Practice Online CE Course
- Identify the best-available evidence in regards to treatment or physical agent parameters for optimal recovery.
- Summarize certain foundational concepts that are related to evidence-based practice.
- Incorporate the best-available evidence with clinical decision-making.
- Interpret the best-available evidence in relation to prevention, recognition, evaluation, and/or treatment of certain athletic injuries/illnesses.
supports the initiative in the athletic training profession to integrate the best new research and evidence into clinical decision making with the goal of improving patient outcomes. Certified athletic trainers completing this course may earn continuing education units to apply toward the newly required evidence-based practice category to maintain their certification.
This online continuing education course consists of a collection of six evidence-based articles originally published in the International Journal of Athletic Therapy & Training (IJATT).
The articles address various treatment modalities and cover a range of topics including low-level laser therapy, therapeutic ultrasound, and cryotherapy for treatment of delayed-onset muscle soreness. The articles are followed by an online exam containing 54 questions. Upon passing the exam, you may print out and submit a certificate for continuing education credits.
Evidence-based practice is becoming the standard for all allied health professionals. The articles in this online course introduce athletic trainers to the concept of seeking out and evaluating relevant research so they may apply it to their daily practice to aid their athletes.
Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Guidelines for Utilization of Dexamethasone Iontophoresis
Christopher D. Brown and Christine A. Lauber
- ©2011 Human Kinetics • IJATT 16(4), pp. 33-36
Comparison of Shortwave Diathermy and Microwave Diathermy
David O. Draper
- ©2013 Human Kinetics • IJATT 18(6), pp. 13-17
Research Evidence for Therapeutic Ultrasound Effectiveness
Lindsey Eberman, Holly Schumacher, Andrew J. Niemann, Heather M. Adams, and Leamor Kahanov
- ©2013 Human Kinetics • IJATT 18(4), pp. 20-22
Ankle Laxity and Self-Reported Function in Individuals With Chronic Ankle Instability
Megan N. Houston and Matthew C. Hoch
- ©2014 Human Kinetics • IJATT 19(2), pp. 20-22
Low Level Laser Therapy: A Review of Research Evidence
Nathan D. Newman and Katie J. Homan
- ©2014 Human Kinetics • IJATT 19(1), pp. 11-14
Cryotherapy for Treatment of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
James G. Snyder, Jatin P. Ambegaonkar, and Jason B. Winchester
- ©2011 Human Kinetics • IJATT 16(4), pp. 28-32
Continuing Education Exam (54 questions)
A continuing education course for certified athletic trainers seeking
further education in evidence-based practice.