Course components are delivered as printed products:
The Essentials of Obstacle Race Training book
- Study guide
- Continuing education exam
Obstacle course racing is one of the fastest-growing sports in the United States in recent years and has gained in popularity around the world. With challenges such as scaling walls, crawling through mud, climbing ropes, and sprinting across rugged terrain, the sport is grueling and demanding. But for those who prepare, train, and know what to expect, it is also intensely satisfying.
Based on the book Essentials of Obstacle Race Training
by David Magida and Melissa Rodriguez, this in-depth course breaks down the events, obstacles, common difficulties, and strategies for negotiating all challenges. Most important, it presents the tools to prepare athletes—physically and mentally—for the unforgettable adventure that awaits.
The Obstacle Race Training
course presents 80 of the most effective exercises for grip strength, mobility, balance, power, strength, and endurance as well as 30 ready-to-use workouts. You’ll also find advice on conquering course challenges, preventing injuries, selecting events, and using mental strategies to gain focus and overcome fear.
At the completion of this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Discuss the risk factors of obstacle racing and the training strategies employed to minimize these risks.
- Explain how obstacle racing benefits physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Identify the energy systems used in obstacle racing and the role each system plays in racing success.
- List appropriate gear and discuss gear selection for a positive obstacle racing experience.
- Describe the strategies for effective fueling of the body before, during, and after the race.
- Differentiate between exercises and exercise training programs designed for the development of strength, power, endurance, mobility, and balance.
- Design a safe and effective obstacle race training program.
- List the key factors involved in selecting the appropriate obstacle race.
- Discuss the value of mental toughness and strategies to increase mental toughness to increase race readiness.
- List the final prerace steps, from two weeks prior through race day.
The study guide includes a course syllabus, learning objectives, learning activities, and a referenced answer key. The study guide highlights the key concepts of the book in order to prepare individuals to pass the 50-question exam (composed of multiple-choice and true-or-false questions) at the end of the course.
Whether your clients are competing for their first or their hundredth event, preparation and confidence are key. With Obstacle Race Training,
you’ll help them conquer every challenge.
Skills Active / REPs pre requisites can be found here:
Table of Contents
- Course Syllabus
- Course Materials
- Course Instructions
- Learning Objectives
- Learning with The Essentials of Obstacle Race Training book
- Chapter 1 Benefits of Obstacle Racing
- Chapter 2 Training Your Body
- Chapter 3 Gear Recommendations
- Chapter 4 Fueling for Training and Racing
- Chapter 5 Knowing the Obstacles and Challenges
- Chapter 6 Endurance
- Chapter 7 Mobility and Balance
- Chapter 8 Power and Strength
- Chapter 9 Grip Strength
- Chapter 10 Workouts
- Chapter 11 Training Plans
- Chapter 12 Choosing the Right Race
- Chapter 13 Injury Prevention and Management
- Chapter 14 Mental Training and Preparation
- Chapter 15 Countdown to Race Day
- Learning Activities Answer Key
- Exam and Evaluation
- Exam Answer Sheet
- Course Evaluation
- Certificate Information
A course for strength and conditioning professionals, personal trainers,
athletic trainers, fitness instructors, and other certified