Ride faster and more efficiently with Serious Cycling
. Exercise scientists have unearthed a wealth of information that cyclists can use to improve their performance. However, most cyclists have never had access to this great body of knowledge.
Now you do. Serious Cycling
bridges the gap between scientific observation and cycling performance. It takes the latest scientific data on physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, injury prevention and recovery, and training, and translates it into practical applications that will have an immediate impact on your personal training program. Written by one of cycling’s top experts, this book will help you build endurance, increase lactate threshold, and enhance cycling strength and power.
Two-time U.S. Olympic team staff member Ed Burke has combined physiological training principles and real-world experiences to make Serious Cycling
the reference that no elite cyclist should be without. The training methods and techniques he presents are what the top cyclists use. You’ll learn how to
- use power meters and heart rate monitors to gauge what is happening in your body while you work out;
- prevent injuries and illness, even during periods of hard training and racing;
- use proper nutrition and cutting-edge supplementation strategies to train harder and recover more effectively;
- make your body and your bike work with—not against—each other,
- get the best, most current information on proper positioning and cycling biomechanics; and
- apply effective tactics and race strategies to ensure your success in time trials, road races, and criteriums.
Whether you’re a competitor, a club member, or a weekend century rider, Serious Cycling
will give you the know-how—and the means to apply it—so that you can reach your full potential.
Table of Contents
Part I Hard-Core Training
Chapter 1 Building a Mileage Base
Chapter 2 Developing Speed and Sprint Power
Chapter 3 Raising Lactate Threshold
Chapter 4 Enhancing Cycling Strength
Chapter 5 Staying Healthy and Injury-Free
Part II The Nutritional Edge
Chapter 6 Fueling for Training and Competition
Chapter 7 Refueling for Recovery
Chapter 8 Exploring Performance Enhancers
Part III Planning
Chapter 9 Planning for the Year
Chapter 10 Committing to a Winning Season
Chapter 11 Preventing Overtraining
Part IV Racing
Chapter 12 Perfect Positioning
Chapter 13 Designing Strategies and Tactics
Chapter 14 Pedaling for Optimum Efficiency